by Jeff Moorehead
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1
Christmas is all about messaging. We hear people talk about sentimental traditions, gift exchanges, festive gatherings, special décor, lights, music, and food.
But from God’s perspective, the message of Christmas is all about His self-expression. The apostle John said this: “In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God” (John 1:1)
This “Word” (logos) is Jesus. The Hebrews writer reminds us that when Jesus came, it was God speaking “to us in His Son” (Heb. 1:2), and when He returns, His name will be called “the Word of God” (Rev. 19:13). His words and life are the final and decisive message of God personified, and John tells us 3 things in verse 1 about this message:
- Jesus is the eternal Word since He existed “in the beginning” and is identified as God’s agent of creation (John 1:3-4).
- Jesus is the relational Word as He is “with God” as the Son and second Person of the Trinity.
- Jesus is the Divine Word in that He “was God.”
So as God’s clear and climactic message to the world, Jesus came to witness to the truth (John 18:37) because He is the truth (John 14:6).
Here are just a few things His words and life message to us:
- He tells the truth about our problem with sin (John 3:19).
- He tells the truth about our need for rebirth (John 3:3).
- He tells the truth about future accountability (John 5:25-30).
- He tells the truth about avoiding judgment (John 5:24).
- He tells the truth about a sure hope (John 14:1-3).
- He tells the truth about true love (John 15:9, 12-13).
- He tells the truth about real joy (John 15:11).
- He tells the truth about genuine peace (John 16:33).
So Christmas is all about Jesus, the Word of God, and the ultimate expression of God to the world. Are we listening and responding to His message?
Lord, thank You for giving us the truth about life embodied in Your Son. Help me to know this message of truth and to share this message with others who don’t know the truth.