Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
—Deuteronomy 11:18 (NIV)
We will be starting The Gathering: Summer Scripture Memorization on Sunday, May 31st. That's tomorrow! Can you believe it's almost June? We trust you are taking full advantage of this summer sun!
Here's how it works: We will send out a weekly email on Sundays. In that email you will have the verse of the week along with a small devotional for you to meditate on throughout the week. At the end of the summer, you will have memorized 14 verses alongside of, potentially, 300 other women at Christ's Church.
We know that bible memorization can feel daunting; but we have pulled together some simple memorization tips to help you along the way.
- Write it Down. It's such a simple strategy. Write the verse you're memorizing down on paper. But don't just write it once; write it many times. Five or ten times is a good start (some of our overachievers write out their memory verses up to 50 times!).
- Say it Out Loud. Just as writing a verse out can help in memorizing it, so speaking the words aloud is an excellent way to burn them into your memory. One suggestion: turn the radio off while you're driving, your commute to work, playdates, to get groceries, each day and recite your memory verse out loud instead!
- Incorporate the Verse into Your Prayers. When you pray, include elements of the verse in your words to God. Pray that God will help you understand and apply the verse to your life. Pray for God's help in fixing the verse in your heart and mind.
- Put it Everywhere. Write your memory verse out on multiple index cards or sticky notes (combine this with tip #1 above!) and put them all over the place, so that you'll see the verse many times throughout your day. Tape the verse to your bathroom mirror or computer monitor. Tuck it into your purse, lunch sack, car glove compartment, pockets... anywhere you'll see it.
- Use Technology. There are many apps and websites available to help you memorize scripture. Here are a two of our favorites:
- ScriptureTyper.com - Available on the web, iPad, iPhone, Android and Kindle, this app allows you to type out the verse many times, leaving out more words each time until you have the entire verse memorized.
- BibleMindedApp.com - Available on the Apple App Store, Google Play and Kindle App. With BibleMinded you can add your own verses and memorize the Bible using their awesome study modes, track and test yourself.
As we journey together in memorizing God's word let’s remember to pause and ponder the words and truth. Let them sink in. Ask the Lord, “How can Your Word be applied in my life today and shared with others”?
You are going to do great, girls!
The Gathering Team