Following are examples shared by two people who took the next step. Having the "Tell Someone" challenge on their mind caused them to be proactive in looking for a chance to share.
Story One: “…. Since then, my college friend and I have lived apart, and I have gotten back into church. God has really been putting her name in my mind during our "Tell Someone" series, and I decided to just get up the courage to start the conversation....It was truly scary to share with such a close friend, but I pray for her each day that she will find a meaningful relationship in Jesus going forward. Thanks for the challenge! It was what I needed to get moving and stop stalling.”
Story Two: “I had the opportunity to share with a friend at work. He was Mormon, but had left the Mormon Church and was just going through life with his wife with no belief or religious desires. I began asking questions as to what he believed and his thoughts on Christ. I left him with the blue card and told him that if he had any more questions that we could get together and talk.”
Usually, it’s in the ordinary day, with the people we know, where we find opportunities to “Tell Someone.” The challenge can be in transitioning the conversation to the spiritual. One of the easiest and most effective ways to transition into gospel conversations is to use questions that can play off of everyday normal interactions at work, school, in the gym, or neighborhood.
Example: There’s lots of opinion and discussion around the NFL players protest during the national anthem, so how can we use this to move conversation toward the gospel?
Probe with questions like, "What’s your take on the NFL players' protest?" "How do you think this protest can be resolved?"
Possible transition statements or questions:
• The freedom angle: "Do you believe freedom has any limits?" "Is it okay to use our freedoms to treat other people with disrespect?" "Have you ever heard of the two greatest commandments of life that Jesus Christ taught us?" (Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself).
• The golden rule angle: "I think if everyone employed Jesus’ golden rule (“do unto others…”), it would solve so many of our problems in society." "Have you ever examined the life and teachings of Jesus Christ?"
• The God/government angle: "Have you ever heard how Jesus handled the potential conflict of respecting God and government? He said, 'Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s (like the flag and national anthem), and to God the things that are God’s' (like using your God-given freedom to voice your opinions or protest in an honorable, peaceful, people-respecting way)."
Did you know there are over 100 people who have committed to the Tell Someone challenge? Pray for each other. Keep sharing your stories (online link).
Taking the "Next Move" with you,
- Aug 9, 2019 Fast Facts on What To Do When You’re on the Ropes in a Witnessing Encounter Aug 9, 2019
- Jul 24, 2019 “Every saved person this side of heaven owes the gospel to every unsaved person this of hell.” Jul 24, 2019
- Jun 29, 2019 It’s Summer: Look Around and Engage Jun 29, 2019
- Jun 8, 2019 Are You Being Honest with Yourself about Your Gospel Witness? Jun 8, 2019
- May 26, 2019 How Do I Share What I Believe? May 26, 2019
- Apr 25, 2019 You have COME to Jesus....Now GO tell! Apr 25, 2019
- Mar 29, 2019 Evidence for the Existence of God Mar 29, 2019
- Mar 29, 2019 Points to Remember When Making the Case for God's Existence Mar 29, 2019
- Mar 29, 2019 Do You Know What Non-Christians Wantfrom Faith Conversations? Mar 29, 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- Dec 20, 2018 18 Prayers for Unbelievers Dec 20, 2018
- Nov 29, 2018 Gospel Grattitude Nov 29, 2018
- Nov 6, 2018 7 Practical Steps to Cultivate a Heart for the Lost Nov 6, 2018
- October 2018
- Aug 23, 2018 Answer This Riveting Question... Aug 23, 2018
- Jul 26, 2018 Darcy, Meg & Kevin....three names in my story. Jul 26, 2018
- Jun 29, 2018 Tips for Telling Someone the Gospel Jun 29, 2018
- May 28, 2018 Take the Tell Someone Summer Challenge May 28, 2018
- Apr 26, 2018 Tell Someone Check-up: How's it Going? Apr 26, 2018
- Feb 28, 2018 Ever Feel Like Your Attempts Aren't Working? Feb 28, 2018
- Dec 25, 2017 Make Your Step - Christmas Dec 25, 2017
- Nov 8, 2017 Make Your Step - Building Bridges Nov 8, 2017
- Oct 26, 2017 Make Your Step - Starting Gospel Conversations Oct 26, 2017
- Sep 28, 2017 Make Your Step - Testimonies & Transitions Sep 28, 2017