"And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19
BY SARAH DIENER
Provision. This word has been a theme of the past three years of my life. As much has changed, God's provision has been incredible to behold.
He has supplied our needs. Perhaps not all of our wants- but He has cared for us, mercifully and mightily. It has been a humbling reminder not only of His great love for us, but of the truth that every good and perfect thing comes from Him.
I am a planner, and so it has been good for me to learn that while it is wise to plan, it is God who will supply; there is no other source of provision in our life. Even our own ability to work for a thing is only by the grace of God, and not to our own merit. We ought to work hard, yes, but we earn nothing on our own. As believers we are not promised wealth or status, nor even the financial security to which we so often feel entitled. We are promised that God will supply- not riches, but riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
- The riches of Jesus are salvation and the fruit of the Spirit.
- He gives us love for the unlovely.
- He gives us joy that is found only in Him.
- He gives us peace that surpasses all understanding.
- He gives us patience in times of trouble.
- He gives us kindness towards all people.
- He gives us goodness, though we are not inherently good.
- He gives us faithfulness as we depend on His Spirit.
- He gives us gentleness, humility, and grace that we cannot walk in on our own.
- He gives us self-control over our thoughts, our words, and our actions.
And even more beautiful than these good gifts, these evidences of Him in our lives, is the very fact that He has supplied salvation. He has brought us out of death, out of darkness, out of sin from which we could not free ourselves...and He has made us alive! My God has adopted me as His own child, and He loves me with a love that I do not deserve. In this, He has supplied for my greatest need, a need beside which all others pale.